Tuesday, March 31, 2009

With April Fools Day, the clock is ticking...........

With April Fools Day just hours away, the clock is ticking.   What kind of humor can I infuse into the course of my day tomorrow?
A couple of years ago, I emailed Alan Weinkrantz to share with a news release that the group "Spinal Tap" was looking at as a replacement for their last drummer.   If you remember this classic flick, you know that the group had a history of losing their drummers to untimely deaths.
Sadly, I didn't get a response.  Alan is pretty serious about his music.
However, years ago, I once contributed an article for the ISU Vidette's April Fool edition on how Illinois State University was ranked number one in bar brawling.  My Vendetta article which showed several burly football players pushing a nerdy looking student into a pinball machine got the attention of  Gerry Hart the head football coach.
Coach Hart called my sports editor to find out if there was any correlation to my article and rumors that several of his football players had been getting into bar brawls at nearby clubs.   I told him that after witnessing several drunken football players beat up a friend of mine.  My buddy's mistake was that he was puny and that he was an excellent pinball player.   He had easily defeated one of the Redbird's star defensive linemen and had won $5.   The losing player broke his nose.
A couple of weeks later, Coach Hart called me to ask if I could come by to see him at the end of practice.  When I arrived, the coach asked me about an article I was working on about spring football, but he quickly pointed out the four players who had taken part in the bar brawl.  
"After these extra practices, they won't have the energy to get into trouble again," he said with a grin.
For me, April Fools is a great day to share a little fun.  In this world of ours, we need a little humor.  

1 comment:

Vincetastic said...

Hi Matt, this is a great post, your Spinal Tap drummer prank is funny, although anyone who has seen the movie would not fall for it. April fool’s day is one of my favorite, I always try to come up with something new each year. Here are some of my favorite hoaxes that I draw inspiration from, you can vote on your favorite: http://www.toptentopten.com/topten/april+fools_+hoaxes+ever