Monday, March 9, 2009

As telemarketers have my work number, now is the time to register it on FTC "Do Not Call" list.

If you use a cell phone as much as I do, the idea that telemarketers now have access to my number clearly irks me.  However, a simple call to 888-382-1222, the Federal Trade Commission's National Do Not Call telephone service this morning, will eventually fix that.

Thanks to my sister who sent me an email on this notice, I called them today after my first telemarketing call.  However, as the voice prompt told me, the telemarketers have 31 days until I can officially complain about these "cretins" who like to interrupt my day with their unsolicited pitches.

As a publicist, I have to list my telephone number on news releases.   Whenever I list my number on the release, I get calls from telemarketing firms.   They have computer search firms who harvest my number from news releases on the Business Wire.   As I have a couple of pending releases, I am going to change it up by using two-one-zero as my prefix for the release with the remaining seven numbers for my phone number.

And, now that my number is on the National Do Not Call List, I am going to follow through after the 31 days is over by making an official complaint to the FTC every time a telemarketer calls me to pitch their goods or services.

No comments: