Friday, October 24, 2008

Will the economy make us afraid of coloring outside of our lines?


Late, yesterday, I had a somewhat rare case of anxiety disorder resulting from the fear of losing a major client. It's not that I haven't done excellent work for this client, but I sense that there is an underlying fear that this company doesn't want its employees or contractors to color outside their box.


So, is there a growing trend among us to not push the envelope because of the fear of failure? I hope not. Consider me one of those who will try to continue to use my Crayola Crayons to paint things outside the lines. I know in the Air Force that I was always the guy who didn't follow the status quo, and that resulted in offending some people. Yet, at the same time, I accomplished some major things in my military career, and these are some of the things which impress people who work with me today.


Perhaps, this economy is a good opportunity for risk takers. As more of those adverse to risk hunker down, the ones willing to try new things while not being afraid of failure, will stand out.



No comments: