Sunday, May 17, 2009

Must love dogs -- the secret of living with a dog person


After my first dog bit me as a toddler, I was never much of a dog person.  It's hard to love any canine when you have memories of this from your early youth. 

However, my second marriage to my wife, Jackie, has changed all that.  Through the near 12 years that we have been married, she has slowly introduced to me that like the movie, "Must Love Dogs" that not all dogs will bite you.

Maxx, my black lab, is like the big black canine that stars in the movie.  He's in the middle of anything.  After getting home from a day-long event yesterday, he wants me to drop everything to pet him and scratch his ears.

My oldest step daughter owns a brown Vizsla named Bentley.   Bentley spent half of last summer with us while my wife was taking care of her father in Miami.  For me, the experience was harrowing at first, but when my daughter came home, we were the best of friends.

So, Bentley is home with us again for the summer.  His mother is going to a legal internship in Washington, D.C., and her apartment is not pet friendly.   So, I have learned to love dogs,
especially if I want to show love to the important women in my life.

No comments: