Thursday, June 11, 2009

LinkedIn groups help businesses reach out to other clients

When my friend Kevin Koym told me that I should embrace LinkedIn nearly 18 months ago, I was like a lot of other newcomers to social media. I arched my eye, smiled at him and said to myself "What could hurt by setting it up?"
Then, Kevin helped me discover LinkedIn Groups. One of the first groups I started was the Dinfos Trained Killers. If you served in military public affairs, you have heard of DINFOS -- The Defense Information School. With graduates like Pat Sajak, Al Gore and even Dan Quayle, the school has hundreds of graduates.
Today, the group is almost at 500 people without much promotion. As a public affairs professional, I have found a lot of former colleagues. It also helped me reach out to others in the profession.
As a communications consultant, I have been helping some of my clients create their own groups. Cook and Associates, a CPA firm with offices in San Marcos and here, just started their first group -- Lone Star CPAs. Steve Cook, the principal for the group, said he wants to share information with other small firms. As well, he wants to build a network of CPAs that can complete a peer review, a requirement needed by all CPAs to maintain their professional designation.
So, if you are a CPA with a staff of 20 or less, please check out Lone Star CPAs on LinkedIn. Or, if you are another professional group or a business that wants to learn more about this, please feel to contact me.

No comments: