Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Catfish Hunter poker hand

 

 

 

 


My two leisure passions in life?   Poker and Major League Baseball.

I recently combined the two with Catfish Hunter and his number 27.

In one of my poker leagues, some of us try to win with a two and seven card in the hole.

When we win with either a strong bluff or with more twos and sevens on the flop, the winner gets a $100 chip.  Others in the league have to contribute this chip from our pot of money.

Like all elements of a game, this combo needed a nickname, so I went to www.baseball-reference.com to find a player with the number 27.

Of all the 27s listed, Catfish stood out, especially for the World Series, where his Oakland As appeared in post season play from 1971 to 1974.

NBC broadcaster Curt Gowdy would always share how Jim became known as the Catfish to his viewers at least every other inning.

So, if you're playing poker with me, be wary of how I term a 2-7 in the hole.  If the flop comes up with three 7s, then my "Catfish Hunter" hand will beat you.

Here is Catfish's official page from Baseball Reference.

No comments: