Sunday, July 9, 2023

Wembanyama mania abounds in San Antonio

 I feel sorry for Victor Wembanyama and the media microscope surrounding him.



Like others, I watch his Friday NBA Rookie League debut to see why he was worth the number one pick.  He showed a great ability to block shots.  His shooting wasn't that good, but then everyone has first-game jitters.

Since he selection in New York, our local newspaper must have assigned their NBA beat writers, their columnist and now a lifestyle/features section writer.

I love my adopted hometown of San Antonio.  I have become a Spurs fan, although the Denver Nuggets, my second favorite team, won the NBA channel.  Still, the media coverage has been over the top in its coverage of the number one draft pick.

Today, Greg Popovich announced that he has signed a 5-year contract with the Spurs.  Wembanyama will probably become his last project before he heads off to his favorite vineyard.

Still, how crazy will San Antonio become over Victor's arrival?

There will be an influx of babies named Victor or Victoria.   The media will cover the arrival of the first boy or girl wearing a #1 Spurs jersey.

Dogs will also have that name, but some owners will call their canine Wemby.

Someone will try to franchise French-based cuisine and either call it Victor W or Wemby.

A enterprising type will create a "Where's Wemby" book where children can find the nearly 7-foot, 4-inch around city locations.

I know I'm missing something about our new draft pick.  If you have thoughts on what is missing in this article, please let me know.



No comments: