Friday, July 7, 2023

A prayer to add more fathers at Sunday services

 As a Catholic, my favorite saint has become St. Joseph, Jesus' earthly father.   Catholics all know the story of the Immaculate Conception and how Joseph could have divorced Mary, his wife.

Instead, he served as Jesus' step father through his formative years.

I think of him when I see some families go to Sunday Mass without their father.



To me, it sets the stage for spiritual growth.  I was fortunate to have my father attend most Masses with me.  When he had to work at Sears on a Sunday, we changed our regularly slated 11:30 service for Saturday night so we could attend Mass together.

I'm going to work on a personal prayer for families like the one that has a son who just had his First Communion a month ago.  His father was there for that event, but he has never come back to attend Mass with his son.

Catholics pray for a lot of things, especially when people get seriously sick or when somebody dies.  Couldn't we find time to also pray that more fathers come to Mass with their families on Sundays as well as during the week?

I'd love your thoughts on this, so please respond with your comments on how we can add more fathers to our spiritual mix, not only for the Catholic faith but for others as well.


No comments: