Monday, August 25, 2008

Major roads out in Beaumont but there are no signs telling you how to get around the mess


So imagine that you're a parent taking your son back to college, and the normal route to get him back is filled with road repairs without detour signs. Wouldn't you expect the college to send you a letter advising you of an alternative way to get him back to his dorm? Or, at the very least, wouldn't you think that they would have asked the city of Beaumont or TXDOT for signs advising of detours might make sense?

This weekend, I drove my son back to his college, Lamar, and I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get him to his door because rain and erosion had damaged some of the main roads near the university. But that's Lamar for you. I know my boy, Pete, is getting a good education, but when it comes to common sense, most college administrators are sadly lacking in this important skill set.

No comments: