Sunday, May 25, 2008

Taking time to thank the U.S. veterans for their service


For most of us, Memorial Day is an extended weekend that allows us to travel somewhere, shop some more and see movies like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Yet, we often forget to remember the service of our military, especially those who have died either in combat or natural causes.

Yes, I served in the military for 20 years. During five of those years, I coordianted Memorial Day parades for the City and County of Denver. I was often touched by the stories of the men and women who served in uniform.

Now, we are in the middle of a major conflict in Iraq, and we forget about those men and women serving there and in Afghanistan. So the question is: "How can we forget?"

As a veteran, I am going to reach out to everyone I know who has served and tell them thanks. And, if the crazy schedule permits, I am going to take my son with me to Fort Sam for their Memorial Day ceremonies. He needs to understand the signficance of those who served in the military.

No comments: